GUIDE RIGHT PROGRAM
Guide Right is a program for the educational and occupational guidance of youth, primarily inspirational and informational in character. Its reach extends to high schools and colleges alike, giving due attention to the needs of collegiate Brothers. Conceived in 1921 by Leon W. Stewart, and suggested at the twelfth Grand Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi, Guide Right became the fraternity's national service program. Jesse Jerome Peters, later to become the eighth Grand Polemarch, was chairman of the committee, during the administration of W. Ellis Stewart as Grand Polemarch. That insured adoption of the Program as the Fraternity's National Service Project.
The purposes of the Guide Right Service Program are to place the training, experience, and friendly interest of successful men, at the disposal of youth needing inspiration and counsel regarding their choice of a life's career, while the community is made aware of the problems that may be encountered as these youth seek to realize lives of usefulness
Guide Right encompasses many of our youth oriented programs such as mentoring, college preparatory programs, and tutoring. However, the Flagship Initiative of the Guide Right Service Program is the Kappa Youth Leadership & Achievement League.
The following objectives outline the Guide Right service program:
- To help youth, especially those of high school age, in their selection of course leading to vocations compatible with their aptitude and personalities.
- To assist students while they are in training, to get started in employment and to progress successfully in their chosen fields
- To assist parents in the handling of their children by giving them opportunity to talk over their problems with those who know and are successfully in their chosen vocations.
- To afford youth a respite from the drudgery of the street, through sponsored entertainment and culture enriched.
- To inform youth of the values of higher education, of assistance available for continued educational pursuits, scholarship, loan, professional counseling and fellowship; of various occupational and professional opportunities and of current labor market and requirements for obtaining employment.
Please contact the Guide Right Chairman at GuideRight@hlkapsi.org
for more information.